Thursday, July 19, 2012

Early Review - J.C Daniels "Blade Song"

"My sword aim is mighty. I will not falter. I will not fail." Kit's mantra

Truth be told. I haven't read any of J.C. Daniels/Shiloh Walker's previous novels so I can't compare them to any other author I do follow regularly. However, after reading BLADE SONG, and hopefully it's sequel called NIGHT BLADE, I will end up going back and revisiting her other works sometime in the near future.

Daniel's world building was actually pleasantly surprising and interesting. Those are normally the two things I look at when reviewing and rating a UF novel. In this world, supernaturals have gone public and have been living alongside humans for 50 years. Then, you have a group called Banner, (an extermination group) that targets dangerous non humans when they step out of line and cause problems. I'm not sure who is scarier, Kit or the Banner group.

Kitasa (Kit) Colbana is an investigator/bounty hunter who has a knack for killing things. She's part Aneira (see Amazon warrior) and part human. She has the ability to fade out (go invisible) and was trained to not only be an assassin, but a thief as well. She is also being chased by a vampire (Jude) thanks to asking him for help with a delicate situation 6 years before.

The story, at it's core, is Kit's attempt to find a missing cat shifter and bring him back to his pack as well as finding those responsible and bringing them to Kit's own form of justice. Of course, the Alpha just happens to be a psychotic beoyatch, and she ends up with a body guard (Damon) to keep her safe and focused on the job. Kit's background is a bit disheartening and disturbing knowing what she went through for the first 15 years of her life because she was part human. The fact that she escaped the abuse and torture and made her own way in the world is a huge part of the story.

I can't help but compare Kit with Kate Daniels. They are both demi-humans. They both carry a big bad swords that call to them. They both end up with a sexy ass shifters who just happen to be the Alphas of their respective packs. They both can take a beating like nobody's business and bounce back with a little help from their friends.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people will probably love Damon. I hated him from the first moment he was introduced to the story. It wasn't until he shows his mettle and sticks up for Kit in more ways than one, that I had a change of heart. I dislike having any male characters call a grown woman little girl. It's truly demeaning and churlish and a bit disturbing. I realize Damon is a shifter, but I also hate all the touching he does throughout this book. In the end, Damon ends up being Kit's supporter, bodyguard, and lover.

J.C./Shiloh Walker - Thank you so much for providing me a copy of this to review and read. I definitely recommend this book to those who love a good UF story.

Expected publication: August 1st 2012 by Shiloh Walker, Inc


No comments:

Post a Comment