Monday, September 23, 2013

*Review* Spirit (Elemental #3) by Brigid Kemmerer

*My Thoughts* 

"The first day you meet, you are friends. The next day, you are brothers." proverb on Hunters arm.

Spirit, the third novel in the Elemental series, takes us away from the Merrick brothers (Gabriel, Nick, Chris, and Michael) and focuses instead on 16 year old Hunter Garrity. Hunter is known as a fifth because of his ability to meld the spirit element (pure element) and his ability to control all four other elements. It also focuses on Kate Sullivan a girl with lots of secrets who comes to town and ends up entangled with the Merrick's and Hunter and may have her own skulls to bury deep into the woods. 

In all honesty, I liked this book more than I thought I would because of Michael Merrick. I adore him, as well as his girlfriend/firefighter Hannah. I like the fact that he opened up his doors for Hunter, and had the patience of a saint in dealing with Hunters angst, temper tantrums, and ulterior motives. I like the fact that he trusted Hunter enough to not only offer him a job, but to live under the same roof as the Merrick clan.

For series regulars, Hunter first appeared in Storm alongside Gabriel. I was a bit surprised when it was announced that he would be a primary character in Spirit. Hunter is still smarting and hurting over the loss of his father and uncle. He ends up having to deal with a very no-nonsense grandfather who I would have liked to seen get his comeuppance for being a bastard towards Hunter and not trusting him. He also doesn't know who to trust; the Merricks or the Guides for whom his father belonged.

I'm very surprised at the turn of events in this book, including the reappearance of psycho pyromaniac Calla Dean and her fate. I was even more so surprised at Kate's appearance and her characterization and what happens to her. After-all, you have Becca, Quinn, Layne, and Hannah who have stuck around and become part of the Merrick family of friends. I guess it can really get to the point where you have too many characters in a series.

Kate and Hunter's relationship can be summoned up in two words: Sexual Tension. All you have to do is read two particular scenes (one in the carnival, and another in Hunter's Jeep) to know that these two sizzle together when not trying to bash in the other's head or to outsmart and outmaneuver the other. But, there is also the fact that Hunter isn't a dumb person, and understands that there is more to Kate than meets the eye. 

If you continue reading after the credits, you will find a short novella called Breathless (Elemental #2.5). It features Nick, Adam, and Quinn. I hope to have a review posted soon on that story as well.

Next stop: Secret (Elemental #4) Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Kensington Teen - This apparently is also Nick's story. We shall see!

*Recvd via Netgalley 04/03/2013* Released: May 28th 2013 by K Teen 


Title - Spirit (Elemental # 3)
Author - Brigid Kemmerer
Published by K-Teen
Released May 28, 2013
Genre - YA Paranormal

4 comments:

  1. Great review, this is one of my favorite series. I love all of the Elemental books. Look forward to your other reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Was going to read Breathless (the novella) at the same time but decided to hold off for a bit more!

      Delete
  2. I didn't bother picking up this series when an ARC came out in NG. I was having my YA ban and just steered clear from it. My blog bud, Michelle of NOvels On The Run love this series too! Now that I'm back to reading some YA, I'll maybe try book 1, see if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your YA old. I think I've pretty much read evenly between YA and adult recently. Trying to get caught up!

      Delete